The average shovel of snow weights between 5 and 10 pounds.
Here are some tips to protect your back while shoveling:
1. Do some warm-up exercises before shoveling.
2. Layer your clothing to keep your muscles warm and flexible.
3. Wear shoes with cushioning to absorb the impact of walking on hard, frozen ground. Also make sure they have good tread on the bottom so you don’t slip on the ice and fall.
4. Use a shovel that is about chest high to help keep your back straight.
5. Bend at the knee and push the snow straight ahead; don’t throw it.
6. See your chiropractor to keep your back flexible and minimize the chance for injury.